Our two Higher Gear locations bookend a ten-mile stretch on Sheridan Road that is a favorite for cyclists in the Chicagoland area. Sometimes, however, we Gear Heads want to spread our wings, get beyond the Wisconsin border or even travel to a race. A bike carrier for the car allows us to venture further from home, experiencing roads and trails beyond our normal routes.
Thule is the world leader in sports and utility transportation with the highest test standards in the industry. Driving down the highway with your precious gear strapped to your car requires a level of trust that very few companies can provide. You can be confident that your Thule products have tested the limits before letting you test yours in the outdoors.
Whether it’s a quick lock of the brakes in traffic or an unexpected swerve on a country road, swift maneuvers with your vehicle apply force to your Thule products. Too much force and products can break apart. By simulating the force you can incur on the roads in our labs, Thule can make sure that their products are ready for any unexpected turn.
Every Thule product gets tested on and off the roads before it ever sees a store shelf. Through evasive maneuvers, high speed braking and simulated road bumps, their stunt drivers make sure their products can withstand the road conditions from backcountry to the bustling interstates.
At the Thule Quality Test Center, they replicate the harshest forces of nature so you get a quality product that will withstand the hardest test of all—time. They put every product through extreme temperatures, the most humid conditions and expose them to any element you may kick up on your road to adventure.
Thule tests its limits at work and play so you can test yours.
To find out to which bike carrier will work with your vehicle, consult the Thule FitGuide or stop in to Higher Gear where our staff will guide you to the right carrier for your vehicle and your needs. Below are some of Thule’s most popular bike carrier options, available at Higher Gear.*
The T2 is Thule’s premier platform hitch rack, holding up to four bikes. It’s the fastest to load and remove bikes with minimal lifting for ultimate convenience. Features include:
- Included Snug-Tite™ receiver lock virtually eliminates hitch carrier movement in receiver and locks the carrier to the vehicle.
- Fits 20″ to 29″ wheel diameter bicycles with up to 3″ wide tires. Accommodates bicycles with disc brakes, thru-axles and other non-traditional frame designs
- SecureHook™ with integrated cable lock secures the bike without making frame contact
- Hitch Switch™ lever folds and stores platform when not in use and tilts carrier away from vehicle for rear of vehicle access.
The Apex is Thule’s premium hitch rack which can accommodate up to five bikes. The Apex combines security, convenience and revolutionary new cradles with Road Dampening Technology, making it the most complete hitch rack on the market. The Apex features:
- Snug-Tite™ receiver lock virtually eliminates hitch rack movement in receiver and locks the hitch rack to the vehicle
- Arc design of the arms gives bikes greater clearance off the ground and provides greater distance between bikes preventing contact
- Patented No-Sway Cage™ to prevent bike to bike contact
- Folding Hitch Switch™ allows the arms to fold when not in use and tilts the carrier down for rear of vehicle access
- Heavy-duty integrated lock allows you to lock the bikes to rack and stores in the hitch rack when not in use
- Hold Fast RDT (Road Dampening Technology) Cradles™ absorb the shock of the road protecting your bike during transport
Apex Swing is Thule’s premium hitch in a swing-away version for convenient rear of vehicle access. It allows a fully loaded hitch rack to swing away from the vehicle.
Rear Door Racks
When you don’t want to lift your bike up onto the roof and your vehicle doesn’t have a towbar, the rear door/trunk carrier is the ideal solution. The rear door carriers are great for:
- Quickly installing and removing
- Accessing your bike at a low level
- Using when needing a quick and easy solution
The Raceway rear door carrier is the revolutionary new rear mounted rack, holding up to three bikes, that combines the premium features of a hitch rack with the ease of storage. Features include:
- Narrow cradle arms hold a variety of bike frames including smaller children’s bikes and fold when not in use
- Anti-sway cages prevent bike-to-bike and bike-to-vehicle contact
- Lockable cable secures bike to carrier and carrier locks to vehicle (locks included)
The Raceway Platform is the rear mounted platform rack that takes the ease of carrying bikes to new heights. It features a convenient tray mount design that allows for fast, easy and lower bike loading. Benefits include:
- Adjustable bike frame clamps keep bikes well separated and secure for ultimate stability
- Folds up flat for convenient storage
- Lockable bike clamps secure bike to carrier (locks included)
Thule makes a variety of products and is sure to have the right one for you, your bikes and your vehicle. Stop in to Higher Gear where our staff can guide you to the perfect bike carrier for your needs.
* We do not keep all bike carriers in stock. If you’re looking for a specific carrier or have time constraints, please give us a call. If we don’t have what you need in stock, we are happy to order a bike carrier for you.