In most urban cultures bicycles are viewed as legitimate transportation and not merely recreation. We at Higher Gear are hoping this becomes a reality in the U.S. To help spark this revolution, we are now offering Linus Bikes.
Linus Bikes make the perfect utilitarian city bikes – for your little journeys, your commute to work and your everyday life. Help reduce carbon emissions, congestion and noise pollution, all while enjoying the journey on a simple, affordable and elegant bike.
Inspired by French bicycle design of the 50s and 60s, Linus Bikes has created bicycles that preserves the simple elegance and pure form of that golden era, but have all the benefits of modern comfort and reliability.
Linus is the utilitarian city bike… simple and reliable, but with a personality and style that makes you feel like you’re in an old French movie… you’re floating a little from the wine you drank at lunch… maybe instead of going back to the office you’ll take a nap under a tree, go for a swim in the sea or drop by your lover’s house…
This is your classic Dutch bike, a sweeping curved frame and refined upright posture make it the elegant choice for trips to the market or just riding down the boulevard.
The Dutchi is made from durable high-tensile steel frame with a chromoly down tube, featuring Shimano Nexus 3 speed shifters and Tektro dual pivot caliper brakes with quick release.
Special touches include genuine leather grips and the mid-century alloy bell. The Linus alloy rear rack makes this classic beauty perfect for trips to the farmers market.
This sporty ride is a timeless classic with its signature diagonal line and streamline profile. Looks good in trousers.
No need to fear the hills. With 8 speeds and a full chromoly frame this is your true go anywhere Mixte. This bike also features Tektro dual pivot caliper brakes with quick release.
The Mixte’s finishing details include the Linus alloy rear rack and mid-century alloy bell.
Finally an internally geared bike without the twist shifter. This gutsy 3-speed shifts from the down tube.
With its wrapped leather bar tape and matching saddle this guy a very snappy dresser indeed. The chromoly frame and fork have all the necessary eyelets to mount racks and fenders.
Added touches include a touring saddle and the mid-century brass bell
To pair with your utilitarian city bike, we also brought in these cool Linus Bikes accessories:
- Oval Basket – the perfect oval rattan basket that hangs from your handle bar with leather straps.
- The Pipette – a little bag that tucks nicely under the handlebars or saddle.
- The Sac – an extremely durable bag made of waxed canvas and a coated base that attaches easily to your rack and includes a strap so you can throw it over your shoulder.
- The Shopper – a large, square bag is designed to hold a full grocery bag when you need it and fold flat to minimize drag when you don’t.
- The Market Bag – a bag that extends over your rear rack to hold a grocery bag on either side or rolls up nicely when not in use.
- Front and Rear Racks – lightweight alloy racks to carry your load with a refined, minimalist style.
- Headlamp – with its vintage tear drop shape, this headlamp is the perfect compliment to any bike.
- Sidestriker Bell – a classic bell that makes a “big ping” sound.
Come see these fashionable accessories and our full line-up of Linus Bikes. Learn for yourself what it feels like to be in a 1950’s French movie and why the journey can be more fun than the destination when you enjoy the ride.
Considering a bike to run your errands or to make your local commute? Check out these articles:
- Making the Case for Bicycling discuss the economic and environmental benefits of commuting.
- Commuting For Your Health shows how commuting may offer a more realistic and sustainable way of getting fitness into your weekly routine.
- Get our tips for dressing for your commute in Commuter Clothes, Commuter Woes.
- Get more tips from these Higher Gear customers who commute to work: Chad, Caroline, Jeff, Andy and Danny.