Back in 2014, we raved about the Specialized Prevail. After months of spotting the beautiful sleek helmet on pro cyclists’ heads at the world tours, we finally got one in our hands and on our heads. And it was awesome. How could a helmet possibly top the Prevail?
Leave it to Specialized – whose commitment to R&D is what makes them our favorite brand – to improve on the best.
Those with a keen eye likely spotted the updated Prevail in last year’s Tour de France. The helmet had a noticeably lower profile and there was a different look to the air ports. But the changes to the Prevail go more than skin deep. Now that we’ve had a chance to test ride the S-Works Prevail II, we can say that the changes improve on perfection.
Specialized designed the Prevail II to have a lower profile, lower weight and improved acoustics. Riders of both versions rave about the redesigned helmet’s noticeably quieter ride.
Features of the Specialized Prevail II Helmet
- Patented Energy Optimized Multi-Density EPS construction helps to manage impact energy.
- Patented Aramid-Reinforced Skeleton provides internal EPS support.
- Instrap webbing system for ultra-light construction and security.
- Reflective decals for increased visibility in low-light conditions.
Improved Fit and Comfort
- Ultra-light Mindset II micro-dial fit system with height adjustability for the perfect fit.
- Thin, soft, and lightweight 4X DryLite webbing won’t stretch out with sweat or water.
- Tri-Fix web splitter for improved comfort and ease of strap adjustments.
- Gutter Action brow pad design for increased comfort and sweat management.
Improved Air Circulation
- Mega Mouthport optimizes cooling and sweat evaporation.
- 4th Dimension Cooling System with deep internal channels, large vents and aligned exhaust ports.
In other words, the Prevail II doesn’t just look cool, it works hard to keep you cool (and to keep your head protected) while you ride – and sweat – hard.
Praise for the Specialized Prevail II Helmet
We’re not alone in our love for the redesigned helmet. Check out the praise from the press:
“This helmet is immediately impressive… Specialized hit the nail on the head with this exceptionally light, comfortable and sleek lid.”- VeloNews
“The Specialized Prevail II is a race-ready dream helmet.” – BikeMag
“The new Specialized Prevail II helmet brings several key improvements to the already iconic traditional road helmet. Responding to racer and consumer feedback, the Prevail II is built to sit lower on the head. It also features a more aerodynamic design than the last edition, while also achieving lower overall weight. Ventilation improvements increase air flow and breathability. And the well-designed micro-fit adjustment capability with the Mindset II dial system round out the new lid’s significant improvements.” – RoadBikeReview
“To create the updated Prevail, Specialized took an already successful product and went back into the windtunnel, tweaking the design for countless hours. The result: a sleeker, lighter and airier helmet, fit for the world’s biggest stage.” – CyclingTips
Specialized’s Prevail II’s WinTunnel-tested aerodynamic design and ultra-light construction in order to achieve the best all-around performance. Whether you’re racing the peloton or trying to catch a breeze off of Lake Michigan, the Prevail 2 has got you covered.
Use your head! Always wear a helmet!