The WFRT, the brainchild of Chicago Cubs Board Member, Todd Ricketts, and SRAM Executive Vice President, F.K. Day, is an annual 100-mile charity bike ride to benefit the global work of World Bicycle Relief and the local work of Chicago Cubs Charities.
The ride is accommodating to all, from first-time century riders to seasoned pros, giving everyone the perfect opportunity to enjoy a beautiful century ride and experience the magic of Wrigley Field, all while making a world of difference.
For 2013, the ride again began and ended at Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs. We celebrated the conclusion of the ride and the more than $300,000 raised for World Bicycle Relief and Chicago Cubs Charities with an unforgettable party on the field including live music by the BoDeans, bouncy castles for kids and, of course, food and drinks.
Thank you to all who made it out for the fourth year of the Wrigley Field Road Tour. Each participant – rider and volunteer – made the 2013 Wrigley Field Road Tour possible. What’s more, each made the day a success.
- To see photos from the party on Wrigley Field, check out our event day recap of the 2013 Wrigley Field Road Tour.
- Too see moments from the fourth annual WFRT as captured by volunteer photographers and participants, see Faces of the 2013 WFRT.
Hardest 100 miles ever, for the best reason – for World Bicycle Relief… shared with friends and family who made it all count. What a great journey. – Ruth-Anne Renaud
If you’re considering adding the Wrigley Field Road Tour to your 2014 riding schedule and want to know more about training for a century or if you have another century coming up, you might find some of the resources we provided for our 2013 riders helpful:
- Pushed yourself too hard or enjoyed the company so much that you missed the scenery during the WFRT? Check out the 2013 WFRT route.
- Before you embark on your century training, see Your Century Begins Here.
- We’ve got all your century riding needs covered. See our Century Ride Essentials for our gear recommendations.
- Pack a flat kit and know how to use it! Check out our Cycling Essentials.
- New for this year, we teamed up with Coach Craig of Precision Multisport, who has created two training plans for the 2013 WFRT.
- Our group training rides will continue into the fall. New to group riding? Higher Gear welcomes new riders.
- Before your first group ride, check out our Group Ride Rules.
- As you’re training outdoors this summer, be sure to keep your skin protected.
- Don’t forget your nutrition. Get our tips in What’s In Your Water Bottle?
- Not sure if you need a tune-up? We explain why you want your bicycle in the hands of a professional before you tackle the miles.
- Stay healthy on and off the bike this summer with a foam roller (which can be ordered at Higher Gear).
If you enjoy these articles, sign up to stay connected with Higher Gear’s weekly newsletter and like us on Facebook. And, now that you know where are two locations are, you’re always welcome to stop by and chat with us!
Stay tuned to this page and to Higher Gear’s Facebook page for more updates. Sign up to stay connected with Higher Gear’s weekly newsletter. We’ll keep you updated and on track to ride 100 miles. Sign up here to receive updates on the 2014 Wrigley Field Road Tour as they become available.