Thinking about traveling with your bike? When renting a bike isn’t an option or when your performance or comfort is imperative, you want to make sure your bike is in good hands. We can help you with that. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment to have Higher Gear box and ship or receive and build your bike.
If you live in the area and have plans to travel with your bike, you have a couple options. You can either check-in your bike as carry-on luggage (check your airlines for applicable fees) or you can have your bike waiting for you when you reach your destination. Either way, Higher Gear can get your bicycle safely packed away. The $50 service fee includes disassembling your bike and safely boxing it inside your bicycle travel case* or a cardboard box we will provide for you at no additional charge.
1. Bring your bicycle to Higher Gear. Make sure you give us 3-4 days lead time before the bicycle needs to be ready for pick-up or shipping. It’s best if you contact Higher Gear in advance to set up an appointment before dropping off your bicycle.
2. If we are shipping your bicycle, we will need the address to where it is going. If you are having your bicycle shipped to another shop, make sure you contact them so they are expecting it.
3. At the time you drop off your bike, make sure you have everything with you that you would like to be included in the box. We recommend you include your cycling shoes and your flat kit. If you’re bringing your boxed bike as a carry-on, you must remove CO2 cartridges. Also, if you are not shipping your bike to another shop, we recommend you pack a pedal wrench – as you will need to reinstall your pedals. Your helmet will not fit in the bike box and it is safer to carry that on the plane.
Higher Gear uses UPS for bike shipments. Shipping fees are determined by UPS and are passed directly on to you. UPS’ liability for loss or damage is $100. Since your bicycle is likely more than that, we recommend you opt for additional insurance. Again, this amount is set by UPS. If you would like additional insurance, please make this clear when you give us the “ship to” address.
If your event is in the Chicagoland area, we are happy to receive your bicycle and build it back up for you. The fee for this service is $70.
1. Contact us in advance so that we are expecting to receive your bicycle and so that we can make sure that your bike assembly is on our work order when it arrives. (If your bicycle arrives without prior notification, we will not begin installation on it.)
2. To account for delays in shipping and to allow us enough time for a proper build, it’s best to plan to have your bicycle arrive four days in advance of when you will need to pick it up from us.
3. Have your bicycle shipped to the location where you would like to pick up your bicycle:
Higher Gear – Wilmette
1515 Sheridan Road
Wilmette, IL 60091
Higher Gear – Highland Park
1898 Sheridan Road
Highland Park, IL 60035
4. Et voilà! You’ll receive an email or phone call from Higher Gear (we’ll ask which you prefer when you schedule your appointment) letting you know your bicycle is ready for pick-up.
Give us a call today to schedule an appointment to have Higher Gear box and ship or receive and build your bike.
Questions? Give us a call.
* If you travel with your bicycle often, Higher Gear recommends investing in a hard case, like the Trico Iron Case.
More from Higher Gear on traveling with your bike:
- Debating whether traveling with your bike is worth it?
- Learn why Higher Gear recommends the Trico Iron Case for safe bicycle travel.
- Read about Higher Gear customer Dr. Tony Breitbach and why he recommends bringing your bicycle along on your travels.
For further information about traveling with your bike, check out the following articles:
- Tips for Traveling with Your Mountain Bike by Hans Rey for Bicycling.com.
- How to Avoid Excess Baggage Fees by Sonya Looney for Bicycling.com blogs. Flying with your bike isn’t easy, but it shouldn’t cost a fortune.
Tips and videos on how to pack your bike are available:
- How to Pack Your Bike from BikeRadar.com
- How to Pack Your Bike for Travel or Shipping by Georgia Gould, four-time elite mountain bike national champion, for USA Cycling.
- How to Pack your Mountain Bike video on Velosmith.
- How to Pack Up Your Bike video by TriSports.com
- Trico Iron Case Extreme Testing – Part 1 video by WeKeepYouCycling.com
- Trico Iron Case Extreme Testing – Part 2 video by WeKeepYouCycling.com
- Trico Iron Case Extreme Testing – Part 3 video by WeKeepYouCycling.com
Need Help? Have Questions?
Wilmette | 847-256-2330