Our First Ride of Spring is an annual tradition at Higher Gear. It’s the day we kick off our amazing outdoor group rides that last all spring, summer and fall.
With the addition of our CompuTrainer Studio, we’ve been able to enjoy the group ride camaraderie all through winter the past few years. And this year, with an unusually warm winter season, we’ve even taken to the streets for a few Saturdays.
That is, most of us have. One of our Gearheads, after being struck by an automobile during a ride, had strict doctor’s orders to only ride in a trainer. Until April 7th. And John McCormick just couldn’t wait the extra day until he could hit the streets. So a few friends met at Higher Gear for a pre-First Ride on Friday.
Most of us, however, woke up early Saturday morning with thoughts of pelotons, pacelines and potholes dancing in our brains. We woke up to a glorious day, free from the rain of earlier in the week. We made our way to Plaza del Lago, our starting point.
Some of us hadn’t ridden together since last fall. Some brought friends to join us. Whether you’re an old friend or a new one, you’re always welcome at Higher Gear. With everyone who came out, we had a great group to officially kick off our 2017 season.
After the ride, our Master Chef whipped up hot breakfast. Made-to-order omelettes were on the menu. After devouring all that fresh spring air, our riders were ready to take down a few eggs.
Our 2017 First Ride by the numbers:
- 42 degrees at the start of the ride
- 57 degrees at the ride’s finish
- 44 riders who participated
- 7 dozen eggs consumed in the form of post-ride omelettes
- TONS of fun had by all!
Thank you – each and every one of you – who made our First Ride a success! We look forward to riding with you all 2017 season.
- Whether you were able to kick off the season with us or not, we hope you can spend Saturdays this spring, summer and fall with us. Join our Saturday Morning Group Ride >>
- New to cycling? Group rides are a great way to commit to your new sport – and to learn to love cycling >>
- New to group riding? Don’t be intimidated. Learn our Group Ride Rules >>