If you’re not familiar with fat biking, “It’s a little bit like mountain biking, but it’s a little bit like skiing, and not totally like anything else,” is how one rider defines it in a documentary about the culture emerging around this new sport.
Whether you’re merely curious or you’re already a fat bike fanatic, you’ll be mesmerized by Cold Rolled: Marquette Michigan’s Snow Bike Route. This documentary highlights the emerging culture of fat biking in a corner of the Midwest, specifically, in the rugged harbor town of Marquette, Michigan.
As Vernon Felton writes for Bike Magazine, “The Upper Peninsula is no place for the faint of heart. When the snow dumps down in feet, rather than inches, the Yoopers just bust out bigger tires and get on with it.”
Here’s a taste of the documentary:
Or, if you have the time, check out the movie’s six chapters below or directly on their Vimeo site:
Now that you’re pumped, come on in to Higher Gear, where we can get you ready to hit the snow this winter – or the sand this summer – on a fat bike!
For more on Cold Rolled:
- Check out their Vimeo site
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Check out an interview with Cold Rolled filmmaker Aaron Peterson
More on fat biking:
- Learn about fat biking.
- Check out fat bikes by Surly.
- Meet Higher Gear customer, Josh Kline, who decided to add fat biking to his repertoire.
- Check out this article about a guy who decides to throw himself into Madison, Wisconsin’s fat biking culture.