Date(s) - 28 May 2017
5:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Butler Field in Grant Park
It’s our favorite day of the year! Well, after our Gran Fondo Hundo day. And after Cubs’ Home Opening Day. But it’s definitely in our top five favorite days of the year!
It’s the ONE day of the year when the length of Lake Shore Drive is open to cyclists and closed to auto traffic. Hop on your bike to enjoy the striking skyline and the shimmering water of Lake Michigan. Cruise up and down the entire length of Lake Shore Drive to see the city like you’ve never seen it before.
Arrive early to enjoy almost five hours of cycling on Lake Shore Drive. All cyclists must be off of Lake Shore Drive by 10:15am.
After nearly five hours of riding Lake Shore Drive, it’s time to enjoy the icing on the cake — the post-ride festival, which runs from 8 a.m. to noon. Enjoy a delicious all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast for $8 (a portion of the proceeds goes to the Active Transportation Alliance).
There will be food, live music and opportunities to browse booths featuring a spectrum of bike-related apparel and gear, as well as other partners.
New for 2017, try the 30-mile Challenge!
Are you one of our long-time participants possibly looking for a new challenge this year? Are you a first-time rider who is hoping to rack up some miles? Whatever your motivation, while you’re out on the course, tackle the new Active Trans 30 Mile Challenge.* Conquer Lake Shore Drive and track your progress with an app on your smartphone. After your ride, check in at the Active Trans Membership tent at Butler Field and your achievement will be rewarded!
* Remember MB Bike the Drive is open to riders of all skill level, so please be cautious while competing in the challenge.
Learn more about the MB Financial Bank Bike the Drive.
- Higher Gear hopes you have a great summer of riding! Don’t get on your bike without a proper cycling helmet, cycling glasses and your Road ID. And always use sunscreen!
- Whether you’re racing, riding in a charity event or taking the bikes out for a ride with the family, be sure your bike is in working order.
- Get it in to Higher Gear for a Tune-Up, so your bike is ready to ride when you’re ready to ride!
- For more events and rides like this, visit our Chicagoland Cycling Calendar.
Need Help? Have Questions?
Wilmette | 847-256-2330